Making lime sherbet in the Ninja Creami is super easy, thanks to a surprising ingredient!
This recipe for Ninja Creami lime sherbet is sure to be a new favorite summer treat!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
As someone who has been making homemade ice cream for several years, I’ve always enjoyed experimenting with different flavors.
That’s one reason why I love the Ninja Creami machine!
It makes it so easy to make small batches of different flavors, so you can enjoy a refreshing treat on a hot summer day.
The great thing about the Ninja Creami is that you can use ingredients that may not ordinarily be used in traditional ice cream machines.
After making several Ninja Creami ice creams using instant pudding mix, I knew I had to test out some options with fruity gelatin mixes.
And that’s how this Ninja Creami lime sherbet was born!
Making Lime Sherbet with Jell-O® Gelatin
There’s something about sherbet that makes it a comforting sweet treat.
Maybe it’s the way it reminds me of my childhood, and the tri-color tubs of sherbet we would get from the grocery store each summer.
Or maybe it’s the memories of church gatherings where punch was served, with scoops of sherbet and bottles of ginger ale mingled together in a large bowl.
Either way, there’s a reason it’s considered a classic!
And although I enjoy making Ninja Creami orange sherbet with fresh-squeezed orange juice, sometimes you just need a good shortcut.
Using Lime Jell-O® gelatin in sherbet is a great way to save yourself some time!
Not only does the gelatin mix provide flavor, but it also offers sweetness. When combined with milk and heavy cream, you get a silky smooth dessert with minimal effort.
I use a similar technique with my Ninja Creami pina colada ice cream made with pineapple gelatin, and with my Ninja Creami grape Jell-O sorbet, strawberry sorbet, and orange Jell-O sorbet, and it works great.
Related: Want an option that uses fresh lime juice? Try my Ninja Creami recipe for cherry limeade sorbet!
How to Make Lime Sherbet in the Ninja Creami Ice Cream Maker
It’s easier than you think to enjoy one of your favorite flavors of sherbet–all you need is a few simple ingredients!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Whole milk
- Lime gelatin mix (such as Jell-O®)
- Heavy cream
- Optional: Lime zest
How to Make it:
(Full printable recipe card is available below)
Mix in the gelatin powder. In a small bowl or a large liquid measuring cup, whisk together whole milk and the dry lime jello mix. Stir well to combine.
Whisk in the heavy cream until incorporated. If using, add in the lime zest and whisk to combine.
Pour the mixture into a Ninja Creami pint container, being careful not to exceed the max fill line, and place storage lid on the pint.
Freeze. Transfer the Ninja Creami pint container to a level surface in your freezer. Freeze for at least 24 hours.
Process. Remove the pint from the freezer and take off the lid. Place the pint into the outer bowl and close the outer bowl lid.
Place bowl assembly into the Ninja Creami ice cream machine and lock it into place.
Press the Ice Cream button and allow the motor base to process the contents of the pint.
Check the consistency. Remove the pint from the machine and check the texture of the sherbet.
If it appears crumbly after the first spin, you can insert it back into the machine and press the Re-spin button.
If it’s still crumbly after that, add a tablespoon of milk to the pint and Re-spin again.
Your homemade lime sherbet is now ready to serve! It’s the perfect treat for a hot day!
Notes and Adaptations:
- The lime Jell-O® mix combined with dairy gives a mild but distinct lime flavor. If you want a more intense lime flavor, I recommend adding a teaspoon of freshly grated lime zest to the ice cream base before freezing. You can always taste it first and add the zest if you feel like it needs it.
- I have not tested this with sugar-free jello, but I suspect it would work just fine if you’re looking to cut back on added sugar.
- If you’re enjoying leftovers, you may need to let the pint container sit out at room temperature for 10 minutes or so to soften before scooping. Alternatively, you can Re-spin the leftovers in the machine.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3-oz package lime gelatin mix (such as Jell-O® brand)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Optional: 1 tsp lime zest
- In a small bowl or large liquid measuring cup, whisk together milk and lime gelatin mix until combined.
- Add heavy cream and lime zest, if using, mixing to incorporate.
- Pour mixture into a Ninja Creami pint container and close the lid. Transfer the pint to a level surface on your freezer and freeze for at least 24 hours.
- Remove pint from freezer and take off lid. Place pint into the outer bowl and secure the outer bowl lid.
- Place outer bowl into the Ninja Creami machine and press the Ice Cream button. Allow the cycle to complete.
- Remove pint and check the consistency of the ice cream. If the texture appears crumbly, insert it back into the machine and press the Re-spin button. If it's still crumbly after that, add a tablespoon of milk and Re-spin once more.
- The lime gelatin mix combined with dairy gives a mild (but distinct) lime flavor. If you want a more intense lime flavor, I recommend adding a teaspoon of freshly grated lime zest to the ice cream base before freezing. You can always taste it first and add the zest if you feel like it needs it.
- I have not tested this with sugar-free jello, but I suspect it would work just fine if you're looking to cut back on added sugar.
- If you're enjoying leftovers, you may need to let the pint container sit out at room temperature for 10 minutes or so to soften before scooping. Alternatively, you can Re-spin the leftovers in the machine.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 51mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Printable Ninja Creami Recipes
If you’d like some delicious printable Ninja Creami recipes, check out Tried and True: 35 Favorite Ninja Creami Recipes!
It contains some fantastic recipes, all in an easy-to-use printable format that you can download to your device.
Check it out here, or click the image below to learn more!
More Ninja Creami Recipes You’ll Love:
- The Best Ninja Creami Sorbet Recipes
- Ninja Creami Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Butterscotch Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Cookie Butter Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Chocolate Pudding Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream
Be sure to save this recipe to your Ninja Creami board on Pinterest!