Making frozen hot chocolate in in the Ninja Creami is such an easy and delicious dessert!
We’ll show you how simple it is to make Ninja Creami hot chocolate ice cream with just a few basic ingredients.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
The concept of frozen hot chocolate is a little counter-intuitive, if you think about it.
While it certainly has some similarities to regular chocolate ice cream, it has a distinctive taste and texture, in my opinion.
I had my first encounter with frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity, a popular restaurant in New York City that serves fantastic frozen treats.
Ever since then, I’ve wanted to try making something similar at home, but I never got around to it.
That is, until I decided to try a version in my Ninja Creami ice cream maker.
I have to say, this is one super simple and delicious treat that you’re going to love, both because it’s so tasty and because it’s crazy easy!
If you’ve been wanting to try Ninja Creami frozen hot chocolate ice cream, this is the recipe for you!
Hot Chocolate Ice Cream in the Ninja Creami
Making frozen hot chocolate in the Ninja Creami is so simple! You’re essentially taking some hot chocolate, adding some heavy cream, then freezing it.
I decided to use packets of hot cocoa mix, because it doesn’t get much easier than that!
Yes, you can make homemade ice cream with hot chocolate powder! There’s no need to measure out cocoa powder or buy chocolate milk.
It turned into the perfect consistency–not too heavy or greasy, but the perfect texture that’s just plain delicious.
I even added some marshmallows and whipped cream for the full frozen hot chocolate experience! 🙂
If you ask me, the best Ninja Creami recipes should be simple to make and satisfying for your sweet tooth. This one fits the bill!
How to Make Ninja Creami Frozen Hot Chocolate Ice Cream
It’s crazy easy to make this simple recipe. Adults and kids alike will love this flavor!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Whole milk
- Packets of hot chocolate mix
- Heavy whipping cream
How to Make it:
(Full printable recipe card is available below)
Dissolve hot chocolate mix. Add milk to a large microwave-safe liquid measuring cup.
Microwave until the milk is fairly hot, but not boiling (this took mine about 50 seconds).
Add the hot chocolate mix to the warm milk and whisk to dissolve completely.
Add cream. Whisk in the cold whipping cream, stirring to combine. This should help cool the mixture a bit more.
Transfer the ice cream base mixture to a Ninja Creami pint container.
Freeze. Once the mixture is lukewarm or room temperature, close the lid on the pint container and transfer to a level surface in your freezer. Freeze for at least 24 hours.
Spin. Remove the pint from the freezer and place it in the outer bowl, locking the outer bowl lid.
Place outer bowl apparatus into the Ninja Creami ice cream machine and secure it into place.
Press the Ice Cream button and allow the cycle to complete.
Check the consistency. Remove the pint from the machine and check the texture.
If it looks crumbly, insert it back into the machine and press the Re-spin button.
If it’s still crumbly after that, you can add a tablespoon of milk and use the Re-spin cycle again.
If you’d like to add some mini marshmallows as a mix-in, you can (alternatively, you can just sprinkle marshmallows on top when serving).
To add them as a mix-in, create a well in the center of the ice cream that’s about an inch wide and that extends to the bottom of the pint.
Add 2-3 tablespoons of mini marshmallows to the well.
Close the lid and insert the pint back into the Ninja Creami machine, then press the Mix-in button.
Serve scoops of the ice cream topped with additional marshmallows and a dollop of whipped cream, if desired!
This is a tasty treat that you can enjoy around the holiday season, or any time of year!
Notes and Adaptations:
- Because there are so few ingredients in this recipe, be sure to choose a hot chocolate mix that you enjoy drinking. I used Swiss Miss milk chocolate mix, but you could choose a dark chocolate mix, a Mexican hot chocolate mix, or whatever floats your boat!
- If you need to measure out the cocoa mix from a larger container, you’ll need about 6 tablespoons of mix.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Two 1.38-oz packets of hot chocolate mix (see notes below)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Pour milk into a microwave safe container, such as a large liquid measuring cup. Microwave until hot, but not boiling (it took mine about 50 seconds).
- Add hot chocolate mix to the hot milk, whisking to dissolve completely.
- Add heavy cream to the mixture, whisking to combine.
- Pour the ice cream base mixture into a Ninja Creami pint container. Let cool to lukewarm/room temperature.
- Close lid on pint and transfer to a level surface in your freezer. Freeze for at least 24 hours.
- Remove pint from freezer and take off lid. Place pint into the outer bowl and secure the outer bowl lid.
- Place outer bowl assembly into the Ninja Creami machine. Use the Ice Cream function to process the frozen base.
- Remove the pint and check the consistency of the ice cream. If it appears crumbly, insert it back into the machine and use the Re-spin function to process it again. If it still appears crumbly, add a tablespoon of milk and Re-spin again.
- Optional: If you'd like to add some mini marshmallows as a mix-in, create a well in the ice cream that's about an inch wide and extends to the bottom of the pint. Add 2-3 tablespoons of mini marshmallows to the well. Insert the pint back into the machine and use the Mix-in function to incorporate the marshmallows.
- Because there are so few ingredients in this recipe, be sure to choose a hot chocolate mix that you enjoy drinking. I used Swiss Miss milk chocolate flavor, but you could choose a dark chocolate mix, a Mexican hot chocolate mix, or whatever floats your boat!
- If you need to measure out the cocoa mix from a larger container, you'll need about 6 tablespoons of mix.
- Serve topped with mini marshmallows and whipped cream, if desired.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is not guaranteed for accuracy.
Printable Ninja Creami Recipes
If you’d like some delicious printable Ninja Creami recipes, check out Tried and True: 35 Favorite Ninja Creami Recipes!
It contains some fantastic recipes, all in an easy-to-use printable format that you can download to your device.
Check it out here, or click the image below to learn more!
More Delicious Ninja Creami Recipes to Try:
- Ninja Creami Vanilla Pudding Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Protein Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Butterscotch Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Lemon Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Butterbeer Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Orange Sherbet
- Ninja Creami Cereal Milk Ice Cream
- Best Ninja Creami Recipes for Fall
Be sure to save this recipe to your Ninja Creami board on Pinterest!